Tuesday, September 4, 2012

#28: STRAIGHT TO YOUR HEART

Download playlist here.

Over the past week I've been getting into a serious indie-electro-pop phase. This might sound hyper specific to some and far too general to others, but it's a sound/feeling that I can't really describe. I know when I hear it but I could never tell you exactly what defines it. It's synthy. Got some bleeps and bloops. But still has the quality of an actual band performance. Basically think of all the interesting/innovative things that new wave and post-punk groups were doing in the 80's, then subtract all the cocaine and bad decisions, polish up the production value and add some hipster looking fashions. That's the kind of music I'm talking about.

Hot Chip is the major star this week. Their new album is amazing. I like to listen to it and pretend it came out in 1985 and I'm just now discovering it. It's enough to make your head explode. Twin Shadow, Destroyer, and Astronauts, Etc.  all have an intriguing captivating sound that combines ethereal melodies with stable grounded beats. Seatraffic is an awesome band that I discovered recently. San Francisco locals doing some really catchy shoe-gaze/electro. Like a garage rock American M83. Sounds pretty cool right? Check out the rest of the stuff on your own and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

1. Let Me Be Him - Hot Chip
2. Young Blood - The Naked and Famous
3. It's Not Over - Holy Ghost!
4. Five Seconds - Twin Shadow
5. Let's Go - Matt & Kim
6. Chinatown - Destroyer
7. Mystery Colors - Astronauts, Etc.
8. Leave It Alone - Seatraffic
9. Flutes - Hot Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment