Friday, November 2, 2012

#35: AU FRANCAIS

Download playlist here.

I like French things. I like the sound of the language. I enjoy French new-wave cinema. I like French food (which as far as I know is anything fresh with a lot of butter). I like their culture's long history of appreciating jazz. I like the cliche fashion that is associated with France. I even like the Parisian stand-offishness or rudeness. I guess it's enticing because I'm a social masochist. Oh, and I also enjoy French music. A lot.

Here is a little taste of stuff I like. Some names are immediately recognizable: Serge Gainsbourg, Brigitte Bardot, Edith Piaf, and Francoise Hardy (who was prominently featured in the soundtrack to the most recent Wes Anderson movie). Some others you won't know but they each bring something a little special. Henri Salvador brings a little bossa nova flavor to the classic french style. Charles Aznavour is like a french Tony Bennett, it's weird, but good. Jacques DuTronc brings in a '60's rock sound that is reminiscent of the Animals or Love. He has some really catchy but really playful stuff. Jaques Brel and Gilbert Becaud are both fantastically poetic lyricists. They bring such interesting cadences and nuances to their songs. Perhaps they're less accessible but I really like it. I like all this stuff! Enjoy it!

1. Putain De Toi - Georges Brassens
2. La Dame Patronesse - Jaques Brel
3. Je T'Aime Moi Non Plus - Serge Gainsbourg, Jane Birkin
4. Nathalie - Gilbert Becaud
5. Une Chanson Douce - Henri Salvador
6. Fanny Ardant et Moi - Vincent Delerm
7. Suzanne - Francoise Hardy
8. L Hymne A l'Amour - Edith Piaf
9. For Me Formidable - Charles Aznavour
10. Dequis Que Tu M'As Quittee - Brigitte Bardot
11. Et Moi, Et Moi, Et Moi - Jacques Dutronc

P.s. y'all, I don't speak french. If you do, I hope that doesn't impede your enjoyment of this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment