Monday, October 15, 2012

#33: 2 LIVE CREW NECK

Download playlist here.

We all have our guilty pleasures. Some people enjoy eating 3/4 of a pizza in one sitting. Some people have a secret Miley Cyrus playlist hidden deep within their hard drive. Some people really really like Tyler Perry movies (but god only knows why). In my case, it's rap. And I'm not talking about classic hip-hop, early 90's party rap, Tribe, De La, Biz. All of that I love unabashedly, without guilt. I'm talking about aggressive rap, where they talk about shooting people and sleeping with "hoes". Maybe it's the angry suburban white boy inside of me, constantly trying to find new ways to disappoint and confuse my loving parents. Or maybe....maybe it's actually good.

Maybe when you listen to rap you're really just listening for something new and different. That sound of somebody hitting a flow that you didn't expect or creating a poly-rhythm you never knew was there that makes your ears perk up with every syllable. It could be as simple as producing a beat out of a sample you never thought would work and were pleasantly surprised by. It could be the passion that comes through on some vitriolic lines that raise the hair up on the back of your neck. It makes you wish the beat was could be manifested physically so you could slam your body against it. It's animalistic and yet poetic. It can feel so raw and yet it's so finely tuned....alright. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Enjoy this ridiculous collection of slaps and laughers. Kendrick Lamar makes multiple appearances on this playlist. He's a young dude from Compton that's gained a lot of recognition and buzz in the past few years, so much so that his newest single features the Doctor himself. A$AP Rocky is another name young white hipsters will recognize. The flow he hits in "Goldie" right around 1:50 is exactly what I was talking about before. So good. Action Bronson is probably my favorite fat white man right now. Get your hands on his newest mixtape Blue Chips, it's what I listen to every time I have a bad day at work. Killer Mike, who you may know from his work with Outkast or from the voice of Shaquil on Frisky Dingo or from being a bad ass motherfucker in general, brings it really hard in his newest album that was produced by fellow rapper El-P. Danny Brown is fucking crazy. That's all I can really say about that. Death Grips! The brilliance of hardcore noise rock drummer/musician/producer Zach Hill combined with the pure insanity that is MC Ride makes for one of the craziest most exhilarating listens I've had in a while. For some reason it makes me want to get in a fight with my best friends so we can hug afterwards. Anyways, there's a lot more to talk about but you can hear for yourself. Please enjoy!


1. The Recipe - Kendrick Lamar (feat. Dr. Dre)
2. Big Beast - Killer Mike (feat. Bun B, T.I. and Trouble)
3. What It Look Like - Curren$y (feat. Wale)
4. Grown Up - Danny Brown
5. Hands On The Wheel - Schoolboy Q (feat. A$AP Rocky)
6. The Come Up - Action Bronson
7. Miami Nights - Wale
8. Goldie - A$AP Rocky
9. Get Got - Death Grips
10. Rigamortus - Kendrick Lamar
11. Relaxation - Fashawn (feat. J. Cole, and Omen)
12. Enjoy (West Coastin') - Produced by 9th Wonder featuring Warren G, Murs, and Kendrick Lamar

No comments:

Post a Comment