Tuesday, October 2, 2012

#31: WELCOME BACK AND TO THE LEFT

Download playlist here!

This is a big one guys. I've been in a musical funk for the past few weeks. Nothing was hitting my ear right. Everything sounded tinny and emotionless. Music started to turn into just noise. I thought for a second that I was getting old and I considered moving into a retirement home and pumping myself full of medication. But then it happened. I got it back. Turns out I just had to find the correct combination of sleep, sobriety, coffee, and amazing new music. This is the result and I'm extremely happy about it.

I owe a lot of this week's playlist to Zappruder Records. Earlier this summer they released Zappruder Collection #1 which is a compilation of new tracks from artists under the Zappruder umbrella. It. Is. Amazing. Rainbow Arabia, French Films, and Wildcat! Wildcat! all make appearances on that album and on this playlist. I love new music like this. Full of interesting approaches, artistic risks, and grounded in pop sensibilities.

Portland based indie dudes Menomena had a new album come out earlier this month. It's great. The opening track has become my new obsession as of late. There is also a track from the bay area band Why?'s most recent EP (not their newer LP). That band is so much fun it's ridiculous. Other cool new stuff: The Liminanas (like Serge Gainsbourg never died and started making indie pop), Reptar (the amount of energy this band puts out makes me want to dance-fight a luck dragon), Melody's Echo Chamber (my good friend shared this album with me the other week and I don't understand why it's not playing everywhere all the time). Please enjoy everything and anything in these measly 45 minutes. Speak to you later.

1. Plumage - Menomena
2. Without You - Rainbow Arabia
3. Helium - Letting Up Despite Great Faults
4. Endless Shore - Melody's Echo Chamber
5. Houseboat Babies - Reptar
6. When People Like You Filled the Heavens - French Films
7. Jungles - Stepdad
8. Mr Quiche - Wildcat! Wildcat!
9. Space - Magic Wands
10. Hospital Boogie - The Liminanas
11. Shag Carpet - Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment